(14 – 17 years old)
These 10-day courses are designed to provide that all important boost for international students before joining a GCSE, A Level, IB (International Baccalaureate) Diploma or Foundation programme in the UK.
For many international students, particularly for those whose level of English is not as high as might be desired, it can be difficult stepping into a British independent boarding school for the first time. Without the necessary linguistic skills and cultural awareness, the first few weeks can be very challenging.
By attending one of our pre-sessional courses, not only are students able to improve in English, but they are also able to develop key academic skills which will prepare them for their onward educational journey.
Pre-sessional courses run for 10 days, with three hours of intensive academic English each morning, followed by two hours
of other academic preparation, including lessons, lectures and workshops focusing on the following areas:
• Acquiring, recording and learning new vocabulary
• Increasing effectiveness in listening skills
• Improving academic writing skills (including extended essay writing support)
• Developing reading techniques, such as skimming and scanning
• Effective pronunciation, enunciation and debating
• Understanding the meta language of examination papers
• Broadening study skills and getting the most out of your revision
• Wellbeing and dealing with examination stress
• Answering examination questions in full
• English for Mathematics and Science
The pre-sessional courses are divided into two age groups; GCSE (ages 14-15) and A-Level, IB Diploma and Foundation (ages 16-17) to make the content relevant and age appropriate.
The Extended Pre-sessional Course is an additional 5 days which bridges the gap between the end of the 10 day Pre-sessional Course and the start of term. This provides boarding only.