Senior STEM Summer School
£2,250 per course
This two-week programme of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, or STEM, is an exciting opportunity to combine theoretical knowledge with practical skills. It is designed to encourage students’ scientific enquiry, problem solving ability, invention and creativity. It is offered to students aged 13-17.
- Three hours of English lessons each day, designed to develop students’ proficiency in all four skills areas of the English language: reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- Two hours each day of highly practical and hands on tuition in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
- Enrichment activities including creative writing, Student United Nations, leadership and team skills, pronunciation, public speaking, problem solving, study and examination skills, language games, ICT, Music, Art, Drama and Design Technology.
- Leisure activities and trips each evening including archery, climbing, zorbing, cookery, ICT, board games and sports (tennis, football, swimming, basketball, hockey, cricket, fencing etc.).
- Excursions including London, Oxford, Stratford upon Avon, The Eden Project, Bristol, Exeter, Stonehenge, Bath and Croyde (surfing).
The theme changes every two weeks so that students attending a 4 week STEM programme have the opportunity to enjoy a new challenge. Themes change each year to benefit students who return to our popular Summer School year on year. Possible themes include:
- Alternative Energy
- Space Travel
- Intelligent Structures
Students have access to modern, state of the art facilities. They could use:
• Design Technology Workshops
• Dedicated IT Suite
• VEX Robotics
• Plasma Cutter
• CNC Metal lathes
• Spray Booth
• 3 Axis Milling Machine
• Fully Equipped Laboratories
• 3D Printers
• CAD/CAM Software
• Laser Cutter
• Vinyl Cutter
• CNC Router
• Brazing Hearth and Welding
An important aspect of STEM is to link Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics to how it is applied in industry and for students to be aware of current STEM research. As part of the STEM course we endeavour to arrange a visit to a university, to host a lecture or to organise a visit to a local manufacturer.
Please note that the changing needs of academia and industry mean that visits booked in good faith may be cancelled. In these circumstances the school will endeavour to arrange equivalent trips.