Taunton School was founded in 1847 and its non-conformist foundation and attitude is as relevant today as it was then.
The original school was in a row of houses in Wellington Road. Fairwater House was the Headmaster’s house when the School moved to its current location in 1870, and later was the Prep School before becoming one of the Senior boys' boarding houses. (The whole estate was also known as Fairwater).
The now Grade II listed gothic-style building was constructed by Joseph James, complete with an impressive tower.
In 1907, William Henry Wills, 1st Baron Winterstoke, sponsored the construction of the Chapel, which to this day still plays a key role in the school’s community.
In 1971 the sixth form was opened to girls and in 1976 Taunton School became one of the first fully co-educational independent schools by welcoming both boys and girls throughout the school. Fast-forward to the present day and approximately 50% of our pupils are girls.
Our 56-acre campus now houses the Nursery and Pre-Prep, the Preparatory School, the Senior School, Taunton School International Middle School and Taunton School International.