At Taunton School we run hockey all year round, with girls' teams competing in the Autumn term and boys' teams competing in the Spring term. We compete from U14 - U18 level, both indoor and outdoor, entering England Hockey competitions across all ages. We have access to three astroturf pitches and an indoor hall with boards and goals. We have full video analysis support from Coach Logic, where we use our Olympic standard IP Camera, to analyse matches, training and individual performances in group and one to one sessions.
The boys and girls programme is structured the same and pupils train for an hour and a half twice a week.
- Tuesdays are for year groups and a mixture of abilities taking part in a varied range of fitness, skill and technical sessions and set piece work.
- Thursdays are team squad based and are game related sessions including inter-team training matches and preparation work for Saturday fixtures.
- Specific goalkeeper club for all goalkeepers to receive technical sessions with our Director of Hockey and our very own centrally contracted England Hockey Goalkeeper Coach.
- Both boys and girls have access to 1:1 and open pitch sessions as well as access to the pitches for independent training when they have spare time. They can also book into specific sessions where they can work with coaches directly to improve.
We take indoor hockey very seriously as a game in its own right but also a development tool for our outdoor programme. We play indoor at U14, U16 & U18s and this runs alongside our outdoor programme to allow our players to refine and improve their skills. We also compete in a range of fixtures to prepare for local and regional tournaments. We have had great success over the previous years, finishing in the top 25 in the country at U18 level for both boys and girls for the last two years running.
We have a very competitive fixture list and play a broad range of schools to ensure our fixtures are competitive. With a well-established fixture card, we are able to compete against the best schools in the South West. We enter and host the U14, U16 & U18 England Hockey National Schools competitions for boys and girls at both indoor and outdoor.
We are facility supporters of Taunton Vale Hockey Club where our Director of Hockey is also head coach of the Men’s section and we have a number of players competing in both the Mens’ and Ladies’ sections. As well as Taunton Vale we have a number of pupils competing for ISCA and Civil Servants HC.
We are fully supportive of our large number of players in the England Hockey Player Pathway; our Director of Hockey currently coaches at DiSE, Taunton Performance Centre and JAC. We boast a very experienced coaching staff including four Level 3 Coaches; three outfield and one goal keeper specialist who are members of staff at our school and work within the programme. Clare Rogers is one of these, who is currently the Head of Girls at the Taunton Performance Centre, having previously played for England and coached England U18s.
We offer a range of tours, which previously have included trips to Australia and Singapore, Sri Lanka and South Africa.
Director of Hockey - Mr Elliot Foweraker
Elliot Foweraker oversees the Boys' and Girls' hockey programme from Year 3 to 13 across the school, delivering a unified programme that caters for all levels of individuals and performers.
Elliot has recently completed Euro Hockey’s Top Coaches Programme, a two year course where he was the only English coach of his cohort and was graded Excellent. He also completed both the FIH Level 3 Course and FIH Indoor High Performance course.
'The Top Coaches Programme targets the best aspiring young talented coaches from across Europe’ EuroHockey
- Currently an England Hockey DiSE (Diploma in Sporting Excellence) Coach, where he works with aspiring National players, as well as Coaching at the Taunton Performance Centre.
- Has coached a range of players who have played national and international level.
- Coached at every level of the England Hockey Player Pathway, including Futures Cup, winning this in 2013.
- Has coached clubs, school & university teams including West Premiership level.
- An ex-National League hockey player.