At Taunton School we run hockey all year round, with Girls teams competing in the Autumn term and Boys teams competing in the Spring term. We have access to three Astroturf pitches and compete from U14 - U18 level. We are also the only school in Somerset to have our own indoor hockey pitch along with an Olympic standard standalone IP Camera for video analysis of matches, training and individual one to one sessions.
The boys and girls programme is structured the same and pupils train for an hour and a half twice a week.
- Tuesdays are for year groups and a mixture of abilities taking part in a varied range of fitness, skill and technical sessions and set piece work.
- Thursdays are team squad based and are game related sessions including inter team training matches and preparation work for Saturday fixtures.
- Specific Goal Keeper club for all goal keepers to receive technical sessions with our Director of Hockey and our very own centrally contracted England Hockey Goal Keeper coach.
- 1:1 and open pitch sessions for all pupils to access and use the pitches independently when they have spare time, they can also book into specific sessions where they can work with coaches directly to improve.
We play indoor at U14, U16 & U18s and this runs alongside our outdoor programme to allow our players to refine and improve their skills. This helps to complement their outdoor game but we also compete in a range of fixtures to prepare for local and regional tournaments.
We have a very competitive fixture list and play a broad range of schools to ensure our fixtures are competitive. With a well-established fixture card we are able to compete against the best schools in the South West. We enter and host the U14, U16 & U18 England Hockey National Schools competitions for boys and girls at both indoor and outdoor.
We are facility supporters of Taunton Vale Hockey Club who use our facilities for weekly training sessions. Our Director of Hockey is also head coach of the Men’s first team and we have a number of players competing in both the Mens’ and Ladies’ section. As well as Taunton Vale we have a number of pupils competing for ISCA and Civil Servants HC.
We are fully supportive of our large number of players in the England Hockey Player Pathway; our Director of Hockey has coached at every level of the system as well as working with a number of players competing at U21 level. We have four Level 3 Coaches; three outfield and one goal keeper specialist who are members of staff at our school and work within the programme. We offer performance profiling to help individuals identify strengths and weaknesses and take ownership for the development as well as specific club sessions to support players throughout the system.
Previous tours have included trips to Australia and Singapore, Sri Lanka and South Africa.
Director of Hockey - Mr Elliot Foweraker
Elliot Foweraker oversees the Boys' and Girls' hockey programme from Year 3 to 13 across the school, delivering a unified programme that caters for all levels of individuals and performers.
- Worked with a range of national and international players
- Coached at every level of the England Hockey Player Pathway, including Futures Cup, twice
- Coached Clubs, School & University teams
- Is an ex-National League hockey player
- Completed FIH Indoor High Performance course
- Is currently undertaking European Hockey Federation’s Top Coaching Programme (TCP), and is an FIH Level 3 coach